I am a digital strategist, which means I create, build, and manage digital marketing campaigns for businesses. In my line of work finding tech tools to organize and keep track of the madness is a necessity! Every time a new one comes along we check it out, because if it works better it’s worth the time to figure that out.
Today the one I am still using and “loving” is Hootsuite. I have gone back and forth between Hootsuite, Tweetdeck, Seesmic, CoTweet, and many, many others. So why is Hootsuite my favorite for today? Well let me tell you why….
- Web Based – no downloads
- Manage multiple social media accounts; Twitter, Facebook profile & page, MySpace, WordPress, Foursquare, LinkedIn, Ping.fm
- Manage multiple accounts on each network
- Multiple User Access
- Schedule Tweets
- RSS feeds, tweet from feeds
- URL Shortner with tracking
- Google Analytics integration
- HTML 5 interface allows you to drag and drop files or images from your desk top to the post box.
- Drag and drop extends to user profiles, drag a user profile image to the post box to reply or mention. (great for mass replies)
- Klout interface, to track the influence or Twitter buddies
- Mobile apps for iPhone and Android (paid version is the best)
- Does not integrate with bit.ly, must use their shortner
- Facebook interface is limited, can only comment on items – no sharing or liking. Also cannot see messages or friend requests.
- LinkedIn interface is limited, can only see status updates. Would be nice to have LinkedIn group interface.
- No Youtube or video site integration
As you can see the pros far outshine the cons. I would like to see Facebook and LinkedIn get to where Twitter is on usability and features. I would love to see them add a video network like Youtube in the mix, that would bring them way ahead of the competition. Finally, I would like to see them add in “network” statistics. By network I am referring to the users in your team, Hootsuite allows you to invite other users to manage accounts, you can see if another user replied to a tweet but to see how many you must manually scroll through. I would like to see some team stats that show what each team member has been doing on each network.
- HootSuite Info-sheet – The Basics [del.icio.us] (slideshare.net)
- 11 Free Services for Scheduling Social Media Updates (mashable.com)
- Top 20 Sites to Improve Your Twitter Experience (mashable.com)