Not only was the 2014 World Cup exhilarating for players and die-hard fans, but by the numbers, this sporting event was exciting people all through the Facebook- and Twitter-spheres.
According to Twitter data, the World Cup final game set new records:
- 618,725 tweets were sent every minute, discussing the match
- 32.1M World Cup tweets were sent during the final match in total, down significantly from Germany’s shocking 7-1 victory against Brazil, which with
- 35.6M tweets during the shocking Germany vs. Brazil game, where Germany pulled a victory of 7-1, remains Twitter’s most popular single sporting event ever
On Facebook, there were 280 million interactions with 88 million people engaged worldwide.
Take a look at even more staggering World Cup social media stats:
Most Social World Cup Matches:
- Germany vs. Argentina final (88M people with 280 million Facebook interactions)
- Brazil vs. Germany semifinal (66M people with 200M Facebook interactions)
- Brazil vs. Croatia opening match (58M people with 140M Facebook interactions)
- Argentina vs. Netherlands semifinal (39M people with 83M Facebook interactions)
Most Social World Cup Moments:
- Brazil vs. Germany semifinal: Sami Khedira scores Germany’s fourth goal in seven minutes, giving them an inconceivable 5-0 lead with a full hour remaining in the match.
- Germany vs. Argentina final: The final whistle blows, crowning Germany as World Champions for the fourth time.
- Brazil vs. Germany semifinal: Toni Kroos scores his second goal of the match, increasing Germany’s lead to 4-0 over a stunned Brazil team and home crowd.
Most Talked About Players:
- Neymar (Brazil)
- Lionel Messi (Argentina)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
- Luis Suárez (Uruguay)
- David Luiz (Brazil)
Top 3 Most Engaged Countries (as % of people on Facebook in those countries):
- Brazil: 57% of people on Facebook in Brazil joined the conversation about the World Cup from 6/12 – 7/13
- Costa Rica: 52% of people on Facebook in Costa Rica joined the conversation about the World Cup from 6/12 – 7/13
- Uruguay: 52% of people on Facebook in Uruguay joined the conversation about the World Cup from 6/12 – 7/13
Top 10 Player Posts for the World Cup (i.e. Top Content):
- Neymar and Silva selfie – 6/21
- Cristiano Ronaldo posing with melon carving of his likeness – 6/21
- Lionel Messi sharing a photo of himself with Neymar to wish him a speedy recovery – 7/4
- David Luiz wishing teammate Neymar well – 7/5
- Lionel Messi sharing a post-victory shot from the locker room after defeating the Swiss – 7/1
Information and image sources: